Friday, October 24, 2008

I can see for miles and miles


I like living in an apartment. I like Bruce - the doorman and I like the feeling of being able to come and go knowing that someone will recognize me every day. I haven't had that since I left Alaska ten years ago.
I guess I'd forgotten the importance of human contact. And I've learned that you don't have to have intense discussions with everyone, every day. Sometimes just a friendly greeting or a smile goes a long way if its consistent.
And it seems I have more time now to listen, and really hear what is being said even without a lot of words.
Tony the night doorman had to come up and check on us when the fire alarm went on this week. I was searing a small tenderloin with mushrooms and I guess it was smokier than I realized. Later that night it occurred to me that I've had more interaction with neighbors and doormen this first week than I've had all year at the old house.
I like that a lot and I'm surprised by the realization. I didn't know I needed people as much as that.
Thank you providence

No comments: