Thursday, July 19, 2007

THRIFTSTORE ADDICTION

I get the greatest thrill finding treasures at the Goodwill, consignment or thrift shops. Like this small bureau or the Italian ceramic fruit centerpiece on the top. Of course lots of dealers roam these stores as well, but they're looking for resale items and I'm looking at quality and good value for decorating my home.

This small 3 drawer piece only stands 30 inches tall but it will hold games, sheet music and keep clutter to a minimum while looking attractive and all for only $29. One might expect to pay as much as $400 new when you consider the quality of construction - dovetailed drawers, dust tops for each, and solid walnut wood not pressboard. The detailed design is what one would expect to find on Drexel or Ethan Allen furniture, but there were no identifying marks. One small mar on the top is covered by the cloth and won't be noticed at all.
I've cleaned all the insides first with woodsoap and water and then with a mixture of furniture polish and lavender oil that I make up myself. It takes away any cigarette or musty smells as well as giving it an attractive aroma for future openings.
Sometimes my day is just not complete without a visit to the local second hand stores. I keep a sharp eye for usable items from vintage tableware, bowls and teapots, to furniture, framed art and even unusual purses for fun.

Most often I use the inspiration technique when decorating a space. First,you find all the pieces for the space without any hesitation for price - only quality, design and beauty, at the high end designer stores. Then when you have a vision in place substitute the pieces with similar lines and color from your favorite thrift shops.
Of course this could take a few months or even years but by then you have not only saved thousands, you've spent time appreciating quality in American craftsmanship and history.

After all the years that I've spent browsing junk shops, my most precious memories can be triggered by these castoffs; where I was when I found each one, and even if I came home empty handed, I had a sense of the cities and towns I visited just by scanning the local thrift shops.

I never considered myself as a collector because displays of endless collectibles loses their creativity after awhile. If I find something useful and it has vintage value as well -THAT is nirvana and perhaps my confession of addiction is slightly justified after all.

Mum

1 comment:

Jill said...

Mum,

I'm patiently awaiting your next thrifty piece! A milk glass vase? A solid wood bed frame, perhaps?

Love,
Jill